Gee’s Bend quilts also inspired a 2008 children’s book by Patricia McKissack, titled Stitchin’ and Pullin’ a Gee’s Bend Quilt, illustrated by New York-based artist Cozbi Cabrera. Nearly two dozen of these illustrations are featured in a companion exhibit to the Gee’s Bend quilts, titled Stitchin’ and Pullin’: Painted Illustrations by Cosbi Cabrera. Along with Cabrera’s paintings are several handmade dolls and quilts created by the artist, and a miniature replica of a Gee’s Bend dogtrot cabin by Georgetown artist Woody Gruber. To enhance the intimacy of the exhibit, the museum has designed a reading nook for children. Stitchin’ and Pullin’ will be on display from Jan. 10 – April 16.
- DragonBoat Beaufort Receives $5000 Donation from Tiny House Show Organizers
- Lowcountry Community Concert Band presents Winter Soundscapes
- Missy Ricker, Set Decorator for Film and Television, to Receive Behind the Scenes Award
- Docent Tours Offered for Grand Strand Collects Exhibition
- Beer and Brats Fundraiser at the Museum of Coastal Carolina on November 24