Gee’s Bend quilts also inspired a 2008 children’s book by Patricia McKissack, titled Stitchin’ and Pullin’ a Gee’s Bend Quilt, illustrated by New York-based artist Cozbi Cabrera. Nearly two dozen of these illustrations are featured in a companion exhibit to the Gee’s Bend quilts, titled Stitchin’ and Pullin’: Painted Illustrations by Cosbi Cabrera. Along with Cabrera’s paintings are several handmade dolls and quilts created by the artist, and a miniature replica of a Gee’s Bend dogtrot cabin by Georgetown artist Woody Gruber. To enhance the intimacy of the exhibit, the museum has designed a reading nook for children. Stitchin’ and Pullin’ will be on display from Jan. 10 – April 16.
- The History of Ocean Isle Beach: 10,000 BC – Today
- Sunset River Marketplace presents two new exhibitions opening June 7
- Carnivorous Plant Lecture at the Museum of Coastal Carolina on June 6
- Art and Food Blend at the Art Museum
- Beaufort International Film Festival Named to Top 100 Best Reviewed Festivals